There is a stage every Woburn winter when you can’t uncover the root of the draft in your home. It could possibly be originating from a window that isn’t shut or sealed properly. Even the slightest of cracks can make homes unpleasant and cold, hypothetically resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Higher heating and cooling costs
Consistent with the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help cut back and reduce drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s essential to be able to recognize where these window drafts may be coming from and why. Here are some beneficial tips to find your Woburn home’s drafts and inspect for issues:
- Examine for gaps and cracks in unusual areas of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic access points or just the normal windows with operable abilities and use a straightforward visual inspection.
- Examine to confirm that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Make sure that the sealant or gasket near the workable portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Check the installation by determining if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the harsh opening. A window will only perform as well as it is set up.
- Call a specialist from Pella Windows and Doors in Woburn to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve identified where the draft or air leakage is coming from, the next step is to address the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Woburn a call at 781-935-4947 with any additional questions or prospective replacement needs.